Well....the Friday before Thanksgiving, Grant woke up from his nap TOTALLY not himself...fever and CRANNNNKYYYYY. (Teething maybe? Ha. I wish...) By Saturday afternoon, I left straight from Michael's soccer game/end of the season party and basically, sent Justin a text saying that I had left and was on my way to Kids Doc because Grant was unconsolable and that I'd meet him and the kids at home later. I was thinking I'd get there and them give me antibiotics for an ear infection and we'd be on our way. Nope, turns out he had a very AWFUL diagnosis of "Hand, Foot and Mouth." YUCK!!! Poor thing had a BAD case of it, with ulcers lining his mouth and down his throat, as well as on his lips and going up to his nose. It. Was. Hell. Excuse my language, but I have NEVER seen any of my kids SOOOOOOO miserable and in pain for close to a week. He didn't eat ANY food for a solid week. He wasn't sleeping because he was in so much pain and basically would lay on the floor and cry. It pretty much ripped my mommy-ing heart out of my chest.
To make it worse, Hailey and Michael were off the entire week from school and between trying to keep the house sanitized, entertain them, take care of Grant and realize my plans of hosting Thanksgiving were not going to happen, it made for an "interesting" week. The big kids were AWESOME and rolled great with the cards we were dealt that week. At one point, I quarantined Grant in a "bubble" in the stroller and ran into the craft store, told the kids they had 5 minutes to grab whatever crafts that would keep them busy for a few days. Although, staying home for days on end was NOT what I had hoped the kids' Thanksgiving break would be, I have to say, they nailed it! A couple of the days, I was literally upstairs with Grant for a couple hours at a time and the two of them would play together that entire time. It was truly endearing to see/hear and a definite blessing that came out of the week! Love how those two "rallied" against what could have been a bummer of a week for them!
Late, Wednesday afternoon, the big kids and I ran out to the market and shopped for our "mini" feast. Who am I kidding?? I cooked everything I would've cooked if we were having 25 people over, just a smaller portion;) Halfway through the store, I had the genius idea of just buying a rotisserie chicken from the deli because I mean, does anyone actually enjoy the turkey on Thanksgiving?? Not this girl. Uh-uh. Hailey thought I was nuts until I sold her on the idea of the "ch-urkey" (chicken + turkey = churkey).
On Thanksgiving, JP ran out (like always) and picked up Starbucks and the newspaper (hello, Black Friday ads!). I cooked up a yummy breakfast of homemade quiche and cinnamon rolls and we watched the parade, sipped our coffees, browsed the ads and stuffed our tummies. After seven days with no food, Granty finally indulged in a cinnamon roll...hallelujah! Throughout the day, we relaxed and just enjoyed every second of being home together.
Although, it was NOT what we had planned, I have to say, we had a truly blessed and enjoyable Thanksgiving. So, so much to be thankful for!!
Poor, sad baby:(
He NEVER falls asleep in the middle of the day on my bed. Bless him.
Ready to go! Granty feeling better!!
Vanilla Steamers...such a treat!
Mid-day snacks. Love this one day a year to stuff our faces and not feel guilty;)
Cutest chef
Trying to figure out the timer on my camera
#outtake
Much better
Singing us a song with his roll. Always a joke-ster that boy!
Girls' side of the table
#selfiegamestrong
Wednesday's shopping trip
Somebody threw a ball on the roof...ahem, Michael. I thought JP got the itch to put up Christmas lights, but nope, just the ball;)
Out of order, but his first meal in a week!
Inhaled it. I mean, can you blame the boy!?
Healing...finally. I spared you the worst of it.
Remember that picture a few back?? Yep, here's the culprit.
Pre-feast walk
...and that's a wrap!
No comments:
Post a Comment