- Okay, here it is...my list of distraction techniques while laboring at home and refusing to go to the hospital "too" early. Yeah, after Michael's crazy entrance into this world, I'm thinking it's not the worst thing in the world, to error on the side of caution and risk "being sent home" for false labor! What was I thinking??? Oh yes, clearly I was NOT;)
- Shop at Babies R Us. What else are you supposed to do while laboring with a three-year old? The girl insisted on getting out and going "bye-bye" and their selection of toys will keep her busy for quite some time!
- Have a "Parking Lot Picnic." In-N-Out for the little lady and Chic-Fil-A's grilled chicken sandwich for me:)
- Blog- yes, look at my Memorial Day Weekend post...I was deep in contractions, while posting!
- Put new, clean sheets on the bed. You have to come home to a clean bed, right?
- Groom your cuticles and paint your nails. Just my fingernails, people! How crazy do you think I am...I had already gotten a pedicure the weekend before;)
- Write your husband his Anniversary card. This also reminded me to actually call my husband (around 5:15ish) to tell him I was indeed in labor and to please pack it up and head home. Good thing, for that Anniversary card or else who knows when I would have actually called him;)
- Take a nice, long bubble bath. Although, in my defense, this was one of my techniques to relax during the process.
- Couldn't stop at just taking a bath because by golly, I needed to take a shower, in order to wash my hair (again). Justin walked in at this point and told me I was nuts. I "politely" looked at him and said not to mess with me at this moment. A girl needs to feel somewhat "pretty" before going to the hospital.
- Dry your hair. I knew I was in trouble when I got out of the shower with wet hair and the contractions were every three minutes...oops! Needless to say, this was not the most pleasant experience I've ever had drying my hair. Seemed like it took forever, well it kind of did when I was having to shut off the dryer to focus on my contractions every couple minutes.
- Dry, Straighten and can't forget...style my hair. I had no idea when the next time I'd be able to style my hair was, so of course, this was "important." ;)
- Apply a tiny bit of make-up. No, I'm not that vain, but I thought I had time to kill because I was not leaving for the hospital before putting my Buggy to bed!
- Finish/fold/put away the last bit of laundry. Heaven forbid I leave with having anything in the laundry basket. (Okay, at this point in my list, I'm realizing what a complete idiot I sound like, but in my complete defense my brain was NOT functioning properly at this point. And the calls from a few friends and family members begging me to go to the hospital had clearly not been heard by my laboring brain.)
- Throw a few last minute items in my hospital bag.
- Finally, put Hailey down for bed. This seemed like it took an eternity because everytime she'd get relaxed enough for me to leave the room, I'd have to jump up out of her bed to work through a contraction. I finally gave up and BEGGED her to go to sleep. Kissed my "only child" for the last time and walked away with a few tears, knowing her life would be forever changed the next time I saw her.
- Clean up Hailey's dinner dishes/Wipe down kitchen counters, one last time. Justin was putting our bags in the car or else he may have physically put me in the car at this point.
- ....and FINALLY at 8:38pm (yep, I remember the exact time), I called the answering service for the dr.
We left the house at 9:00pm and Michael was born at 9:30pm...nothing like cutting it a little too close! ;) If we decide to embark on this journey for a third time, I'll know to trust the clock and not my pain tolerence because apparentely, I have been given a rather high one!
No comments:
Post a Comment