Slider

I Have Forgotten

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

...SO much about what it's like to be back in the classroom. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm LOVING my time there and have some pretty fun students! NEVER thought I'd be saying that about my 7th/8th graders (after my experience, last summer), but yes, they are a wonderful group of kiddos! Here are some of my reflections, after a couple full weeks back:

  • The bathroom breaks(or lack there of)- yes, this is INTENTIONALLY #1 on my list;) How quickly I forgot what a luxury it is to be able to use the bathroom once during a 6-8hr. time period. I feel like a "rookie" teacher again, who's bladder is literally ready to burst at the end of the day! Ouch!
  • Eating- another total luxury. Lunch break...what's that?? By the time I send one class out the door and prepare for the next, guess what? Break is over:)
  • My days pretty much fly by! As they say, "time flies, when you're having fun!" Each day, I turn around and it's time to pack up and head home. I'm thankful I love being there, therefore, it almost doesn't feel like I'm at work.
  • The parents, oh, the "wonderful" parents ;) ;) ;) Oh, and they are exceptionally "wonderful" as they manipulate, I mean, maneuver through the drop-off/pick-up lines in the parking lot. It's like a war zone, NO joke!
  • Unexpected observers...my LEAST favorite part of the job. Some are pleasant and some, well...not so much! Nothing like having the head of the math department at a major university "pop" into all of the classrooms on a random afternoon! Unfortunately, for all of us teachers, that particular afternoon consisted of a rather "unpleasant" visitor. No worries though, I held my own and had him exiting the room in no time at all;)
  • I have forgotten how much of an impact a teacher has on her students. Even though, I only have this particular group of students for a few short weeks, it's amazing how attached I've become to some of them.
  • Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the sore throats. Yep, every school year it would take me a good, two weeks for my voice to "get in shape," so to speak. Needless to say, at the close of my third week, my "end-of-the-day sore throats" have finally subsided!
  • I know there is so much more, but my brain is tired for tonight.

Every summer, I'm so thankful to have been given the opportunity to "reconnect" with the classroom and all of the wonderful things it has to offer! I'm always reminded why I spent five years chasing a life long dream of mine to become a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan