Slider

A Sign of the Times...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This afternoon, I heard a knock at the door and when I answered it, it was a couple of kids from our neighborhood. I was expecting to get asked if I wanted to buy Girl Scout cookies, or maybe even some candy bars to support their baseball team. However, I was surprised to find out that they weren't selling anything. Instead, they held out a little bucket (looked like it was left over from Christmas) and in a soft, sweet voice asked if I had any money to donate to "the poor." Unfortunately, I didn't have any cash on me, so I had to send them away empty-handed. The little boy even told me that they "accept change" and had plenty of time to wait, while I could go look for some! :) Quite, the little salesman, don't ya' think? However, I was literally running out the door to tutor and didn't have time to go rummaging through my house for loose change...I felt like such a scrooge:( Oh well, next time!

Anyway, as I'm coming to the end of my post, the thought just occurred to me...what seems more like a sign of the times:
1. Innocent kids roaming the streets trying to find a dime (desperate times, call for desperate measure, right!?)
OR
2. The fact that barely anyone seems to carry cash these days (who needs cash, when you can use your debit card just about anywhere!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan